An Introduction to Garment Repair
Created in collaboration with Repair Advocate and Mending Enthusiast, Renee Williams of Repair Redefined, An Introduction to Garment Repair is a resource that will help you slow down and put some love back into your existing wardrobe.
Full of tips, tutorials and inspiration that will get you excited to mend, An Introduction to Garment Repair starts with the basics, showing you a host of hand-sewing techniques that have a range of applications, and then steps things up a notch, with patching, repairing rips and tears, darning (on both woven and knits) and embroidery techniques that can be used to cover imperfections, holes or stains.
Each tutorial outlines when a technique can be used and is paired with step-by-step photographs so you will feel confident and supported as you learn this new skill.
Renee has also thrown in many amazing tips and tricks learned from countless repairs and hours teaching others, that will leave you feeling like a mending expert by the time you get to the end!
This is a PDF product that you can access digitally or print at home.
What you'll learn from this resources
Through An Introduction to Garment Repair we introduce you to the ideas and concepts that are central to garment repair through the use of a sampler (a piece of fabric where you can practice all your new stitches and techniques).
Through sewing a sampler (or applying the techniques to your mending pile) and working through the guide, you will learn the following skills:
- The value of garment repair
- The importance of letting go of perfection on your mending journey
- How to create a sampler
- Basic hand stitches for garment repair
- More advanced stitches for garment repair
- Different patching applications
- Darning (both knits and woven)
- Embroidery stitches that can be used to create visible mends or cover stains, holes or discoloured fabrics
- Considerations when sewing your own garments so you won't need to mend them as often.
As a garment sewist, chances are you will already have some of the tools on hand to create your mending kit. Even if you don’t, most of the recommended items are easy and inexpensive to find. We recommend not going overboard with gathering supplies. A mending kit (like a sewing kit) is something you can build on over time.
A basic mending kit / items you’ll need to complete the mending sampler:
- Sewing machine with straight stitch (only used in sampler preparation)
- Hand sewing needles in a few different sizes
- Sewing thread - use what you have, but you can experiment with universal sewing thread, embroidery thread, sashiko thread and perle cotton.
- Safety pins
- Fabric marker / chalk / erasable fabric pen
- Small scissors
- Natural woven fabric for sampler
- Small pieces of denim / cotton / linen for patches
- Embroidery hoop
An Introduction to Garment Repair includes a number of links to videos if you prefer to see the mending techniques in action.
An Introduction to Garment repair can be enjoyed by anyone of any sewing level. It is aimed at beginners, but more advanced sewists will be able to take these skills and push them even further.
By working through this resource, you will gain confidence in: pairing the right repair technique to the right application, hand-sewing, darning, patching, repairing rips and tears and embroidery.
DIGITAL PRODUCT DETAILS (FOR PDF VERSION ONLY)
The resource is suitable for viewing onscreen or printing on A4 or US letter sized paper.
Print at home resource: 75 pages
If you have any questions please see our FAQ and Digital Product Policy.